is bind needed at all?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Sep 6 15:20:01 UTC 2001

In article <9n826t$414 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Brad Knowles  <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:
>	I still submit that to properly answer the question, we need to
>know the real name of the domain being discussed, so that we can look
>at it from the outside and see if there is anything happening with it
>that might require a different answer.

The answer I posted yesterday was:

  No.  Whoever is hosting mydomain.net should put in an MX record that points
  to your dynamic hostname.  But even without an MX record you should be able
  to get mail, since an A record will be followed if there's no MX record
  (the purpose of MX records is to specify that mail should be delivered
  somewhere *other* than the host named in the address).

I didn't need to know the domain to come up with this answer, and I think
it's pretty adequate.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA