name-server change STILL not accepted???

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Sep 12 15:28:50 UTC 2001

In article <9nntsn$eub at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Bram Vaessen <bevaesse at cs.uu.nl> wrote:
>I got a domain dread.nl that was running on 2 nameservers. Now the
>name servers have changed ip (and domainname) so I send the changes to
>nic.nl
>They accepted the changes (Take a look with whois) but still on most
>name servers (after WEEKS/or even months maybe) they still try the old
>dns-servers to find the domein (so they fail).
>The weird thing is, when I use nslookup and ask such a nameserver:
>what are the nameserver for dread.nl? (with set type=ns, and then
>dread.nl) it takes a few moments, then it finds the new name-server
>and the domein works from that moment on that dns-server...
>
>So basically I could go to all the domein-server on the internet and
>query the dns-server for dread.nl, but that's pratically impossible.
>
>Now I'm trying to cancel the whole domain and when I see all the
>dns-servers tell me that the domein is not available anymore I will
>register it again.
>
>But there must be a better way. Anyone who can help me?

Make sure that the domain has been removed completely from the old
servers.  The problem is that anyone that has the old NS records in their
cache will go to those servers.  When the server responds, it sends back
updated NS records for the domain, which resets the TTL in the cache.  As
long as it keeps querying those servers before the TTL runs out, it will
never go back to the NL servers to ask for the delegation records.

Once the old provider removes the zone, they won't get valid responses from
those servers and the obsolete NS records will time out.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA