Stupid Bind Behavior Question

Jonathan Bibeau jbibeau at c-i-s.com
Wed Sep 12 15:49:05 UTC 2001

If I have a Bind9.x DNS server configured as a master for a domain, and another as the slave for the same domain, what would happen to the slave after the TTL expires and it cannot contact the master server for updates? Does is stop hosting that site information? Does it continue with the information it has and wait patiently for the master to return?

Jonathan Bibeau <jbibeau at managedinet.net>

System Administrator,
ManagediNet
33 Main St. Suite 302
Nashua NH, 03060
(603) 889-4684 (Local)
(603) 889-0534 (Fax)

"Rest enough for the individual man, too much and too
soon, and we call it death. But for man, no rest and no
ending. He must go on, conquest beyond conquest.
First this little planet and all its winds and ways, and
then all the laws of mind and matter that restrain him.
Then the planets about him, and, at last, out across
immensities to the stars. And when he has conquered
all the deep space, and all the mysteries of time, still
he will be beginning."
--H.G. Wells, Things to Come, 1936