dig results

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Sep 14 22:38:17 UTC 2001

In article <9ntut2$haq at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
RJHM van den Bergh <rvdb at comweb.nl> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I did some dig query to look up a problem and got a reply that looks a
>little strange to me.
>It made me curious so here is the query
>
>[root at jads /root]# dig www.chaletboisrond.tc.ca
>
>; <<>> DiG 9.1.0 <<>> www.chaletboisrond.tc.ca
>;; global options:  printcmd
>;; Got answer:
>;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 19065
>;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
>;; QUESTION SECTION:
>;www.chaletboisrond.tc.ca.      IN      A
>
>;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
>tc.ca.                  7367    IN      SOA     ns.freenet.victoria.bc.ca.
>dns.freenet.victoria.bc.ca. 2001013003 20000 10000 604800 86400
>
>;; Query time: 7 msec
>;; SERVER: 10.255.255.254#53(10.255.255.254)
>;; WHEN: Fri Sep 14 20:40:55 2001
>;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 105
>
>I see no slave dns server which seems wierd to me.

See RFC 2308, section 2.1.1, for an explanation of why an NXDOMAIN response
should not include NS records.

>Also the authorative section replies with two dns server.
>Two master dns servers ??

I only see one server name, ns.freenet.victoria.bc.ca.
dns.freenet.victoria.bc.ca is an email address (see the RNAME field below).

>What does that line mean ?

Here's the explanation of all the fields in the SOA record from RFC 1035
(the description of MINIMUM is no longer correct):

MNAME           The <domain-name> of the name server that was the
                original or primary source of data for this zone.

RNAME           A <domain-name> which specifies the mailbox of the
                person responsible for this zone.

SERIAL          The unsigned 32 bit version number of the original copy
                of the zone.  Zone transfers preserve this value.  This
                value wraps and should be compared using sequence space
                arithmetic.

REFRESH         A 32 bit time interval before the zone should be
                refreshed.

RETRY           A 32 bit time interval that should elapse before a
                failed refresh should be retried.

EXPIRE          A 32 bit time value that specifies the upper limit on
                the time interval that can elapse before the zone is no
                longer authoritative.

MINIMUM         The unsigned 32 bit minimum TTL field that should be
                exported with any RR from this zone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA