CNAME RRs

Terrence Koeman root at mediamonks.net
Fri Sep 21 02:17:25 UTC 2001

Hello,

I have been following this discussion, and I'm really consufed now :)

As I see it, Men&Mice states:

--- CUT ---
A domain name that has a CNAME record can't have any children. So if glossary.example.com has a CNAME record, Then jobs.glossary.example.com is improper.
--- CUT ---

This means for me that when you have this:

subdomain.domain.tld.  IN  CNAME  host.domain.tld.

You cannot have any records for "host.subdomain.domain.tld.", thus anything ending in "subdomain.domain.tld.". OK, at first sight this could be true, as CNAMEs are strange records and there are all sorts of things you cannot, and must not do with them.

I have been reading some RFCs that deal with RRs, but I coudn't find anything about this. But there isn't a single example in a RFC that violates the above statement

Now a very wild guess, I'm not a DNS expert so correct me if I'm wrong:

Isn't

subdomain.domain.tld.  IN  CNAME  host.domain.tld.
host.subdomain.domain.tld.  IN  A  0.0.0.0

the same thing as:

[zone - domain.tld.]
subdomain  IN  CNAME  host.domain.tld.
subdomain  IN  NS  <same nameserver as domain.tld.>

[zone - subdomain.domain.tld.]
host  IN  A  0.0.0.0

If it is, then the statement of Men&Mice is correct as there cannot be any other record besides a CNAME, and in this case there is a NS record and a CNAME record for the subdomain.domain.tld. zone.

I guess this depends on how a DNS server handles the "subdomain.domain.tld." and "host.subdomain.domain.tld." in the same zonefile internally. Does a DNS server assume a 'delegation' to itself for the "subdomain.domain.tld."?

--
Regards,

Terrence Koeman

Technical Director/Administrator
MediaMonks B.V. (www.mediamonks.nl)

Please quote all replies in correspondence.

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s