How to refresh bind-9.13 daemon

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Tue Sep 25 15:25:10 UTC 2001

Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> Will Yardley wrote:

> > use rndc.  rndc reload is basically equivelant to a SIGHUP.  read
> > the rndc man page for more info on rndc's various options.

> I have been trying to use rndc, but every time I try it, this message
> comes back:

> rndc: connect: connection refused

do you have rndc configured properly? if so, perhaps it would be wise to
post your /etc/rndc.conf and the relevant parts of your named.conf, no?
if you do have rndc setup, also send the output of:

netstat -an |grep 953

you should see something like:

jazz% netstat -an |grep 953
tcp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.953          *.* 		LISTEN

also see if your logs have something like:
Sep 21 09:50:29 jazz named[166]: command channel listening on 127.0.0.1#953

if you're running a late enough version of bind to have it, rndc-confgen
is easier to use than doing it all by hand.

--
GPG Public Key:
http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/