Win2k forgets Nameserver?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 09:12:46 UTC 2001

Ray wrote:

> Primary DNS is Windows NT 4. Secondary DNS is Windows NT 4. Thirdary DNS is
> an external ISP server. Primary and secondary are slaves off our BIND 8.2.3
> masters. Thirdary DNS does not have our internal sites.

As described elsewhere in thread, all DNS servers should give
the same answers. so this is just a configuration error - just
lose the third DNS server from the list.

Yanek is saying it happens to him with just one DNS server
configured, if I've read it right.

Having only one DNS server isn't my way of doing things, but I
have seen it recommended elsewhere for certain configurations,
and it should work.

Yanek also seems to imply all DNS service is lost, not just
internal names. Although if he could clarify this?

Running a packet trace at both ends should be easy for Yanek as
both OSes come with appropriate software. Should show up if the
Windows 2000 box is not asking the questions as he suspects.