Novell and Unix.

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Sat Sep 29 14:02:54 UTC 2001

> The time has come for our company to get bind v4.9.7 (HP-UX distribution)
> running on Unix  converted to 8.1.2 ( release supported by HP ). The problem
> is that they want primary DNS to
> be moved to Novell NDS tree to utilize DHCP and run DDNS from there. Unix
> box ( HP-UX 11.0 ) will become slave to Novell Bind and on Unix side I will
> need to accomodate
> for zone transfers back to my environment.
> Since I am not familiar w/Novell ,I was told that Novell DNS is all-GUI. How
> does Novell do zone transfer?

Netware does zone transfers the exact same way as the other OSs do it.

> What kind of animal is Novell Dns?
> Any different from unix?

Most things about Novell is quite different from anything else. Version 5
and later supports quite a lot more scripting than the earlier versions,
primarily in Perl.

> Can you dump the contents of Database in plain file?

I don't think so, but as the database contents are stored in the NDS in
stream files, you can probably find them under SYS:_NETWARE. This
directory is hidden, and not accessible unless you're hacking on the
console.

> Any scripts need to be written to massage data from Novell to bind 8.1.2
> on Unix?

No. Novell uses standards when implementing things, as opposed to
Microsoft.

> How do I request Zone transfer from Novell?

Don't remember... I'll check.

roy