Round robin on CNAME

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Mon Apr 1 18:59:09 UTC 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 09:59:47AM +0100, Jim Reid wrote:

>     Nate> It's a small difference, but we're dealing with really busy
>     Nate> domain names here, and small differences matter. When a
>     Nate> CNAME is encountered, the query has to be rewritten with the
>     Nate> new name. This costs in computing resources, adding
>     Nate> latency. Following NS records without rewriting the query
>     Nate> would be better.
>
> Frankly, this does not appear to be well thought out. Have you
> actually done an analysis to support or justify this argument? It
> would be interesting to see some numbers which compares both
> approaches.

Boy it's amazing how Jim ignores statements like "It's a small
difference".

> First of all, when a server encounters a zone cut it has to resolve
> the names of the delegation's NS records. So it's probably going to
> have the "overhead" of rewriting a few queries to lookup the names of
> the NS records.

Pay attention Jim. NS records provided as glue inside the lycos.com
zone.

<snip the rest of the stuff that supports Nate's statement that "It's a
small difference">
--
Nate

"Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad."  -Anon.