Round robin on CNAME

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Apr 1 19:44:22 UTC 2002

    Nate> It's a small difference, but we're dealing with really busy
    Nate> domain names here, and small differences matter. When a
    Nate> CNAME is encountered, the query has to be rewritten with the
    Nate> new name. This costs in computing resources, adding
    Nate> latency. Following NS records without rewriting the query
    Nate> would be better.
    >>  Frankly, this does not appear to be well thought out. Have you
    >> actually done an analysis to support or justify this argument?
    >> It would be interesting to see some numbers which compares both
    >> approaches.

    Nate> Boy it's amazing how Jim ignores statements like "It's a
    Nate> small difference".

I didn't. Clearly your definition of "small" is not the same as mine.
You said these "small differences matter". I gave a bunch of reasons
why your reasoning was suspect (let's be charitable) and any small
difference would be so tiny it would probably be invisible, assuming
it could even be measured reliably. If that's true then your small
difference simply does not matter.

Now I did ask you if you had any numbers or analysis to support your
claim. Where are they? If you can provide this, I'll be happy to look
at your methodology and results. And if they show you're correct and
I'm not, I'll say so in public. Fair enough?