Wildcards for MX and CNAME in same zone - allowed?

Van Bemmel, Berend bvanbemmel at kpmg.com
Mon Apr 1 19:49:33 UTC 2002

Dear All,

I have had two real answers to my question below, one was YES the other (you
guessed it) was NO.

Maybe I there is one thing I should add to the question and that the records
are not in the zone example.com but in the zone anotherzone.net, this
changes the behaviour of the wildcards, and makes them less harmfull I
suppose because there is no more recursiveness involved.

So the zone file for anotherzone.net contains the following entries:

*	MX 10		mailhost.example.com.
*	CNAME		www.example.com

Is this allowed (per RFC) and does it function?
Is my ISP right to refuse putting these records in my zone?

Thanx for the input so far,

Berend