zone files and named.conf

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Apr 3 19:53:06 UTC 2002

In article <a8flt1$rgs at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
James Simons  <jsimons at ntinet.com> wrote:

>I found out yesterday (by accident) that multiple domains in named.conf
>can reference the same zone file.  So I got to thinking that this would
>be a good way to reduce overall maintenance of zone files for me.  We
>have .com, .net, .org, etc addresses for several of our domains and I do
>hate to have multiple zone files to maintain for each one, so I thought
>that I would put a reference to each one in named.conf and when I
>specify the zone file just point it to the .com and go on with life.  I
>wasn't sure how good this was for the overall DNS of the net but I knew
>you guys would so please let me know!

Yes, this will work, but you have to be careful.  Make sure that all the
names you define use relative syntax; you can't define any fully-qualified
names in the file, since they'll be out of zone for any domains other than
the one it uses.  If you need to refer to the domain itself, use the
special token @.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA