DNS tutor needed

scratch wmedia at xtra.co.nz
Fri Apr 12 19:35:47 UTC 2002

Sorry Barry....here you go then....here's my named.conf file........

options {
        directory "/var/named";
                        /*
         * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
         * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
         * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
         * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
         * port by default.
         */     query-source address * port 53;
};
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "root.hints";
};
zone "scratch.net.nz" {
        type master;
        file "scratch.db";
};
zone "teawamutu.net.nz" {
        type master;
        file "teawamutu.net.nz.db";
};
zone "teawamutu.net" {
        type master;
        file "teawamutu.net.db";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "pz/127.0.0";
};

.........and my zone statement.....

   UW PICO(tm) 4.0           File: /var/named/teawamutu.net.db

$TTL    259200
@               IN      SOA     pc9.scratch.net.nz.     wmedia.xtra.co.nz. (
                                20020103015     ; serial
                                3600            ; refresh       - 1 hour
                                3600            ; retry         - 1 hour
                                604800          ; expire        - 7 days
                                7200 )          ; default_ttl   - 2 hours

                IN      NS      pc9.scratch.net.nz.
                IN      NS      ns2.nameserver.net.nz.

www             IN      A       210.86.2.21
@               IN      A       210.86.2.21
@               IN      MX      5       pc9.scratch.net.nz.

Any idea why I don't answer authorititavely?

Richard.

PS rndc reload? Tell me more.....

"Barry Margolin" <barmar at genuity.net> wrote in message
news:a97c1n$kn7 at pub3.rc.vix.com...
> In article <a97b6c$klp at pub3.rc.vix.com>, scratch <wmedia at xtra.co.nz>
wrote:
> >I am teaching myself Linux system admin, and need some help with DNS. I
am
> >running a Redhat 7.2 server with Bind 9.1.3, and have successfully (I
think)
> >set up my server to be the primary DNS for my.own.domain, and primary DNS
> >for a.virtual.domain.
>
> It would be much easier if you would use the real names instead of all
> these fake names.  What are you hiding?  You've already admitted that
> you're a novice at this, and we know who you are.
>
> >Now I am trying to transfer my.friends.domain to my server but have run
into
> >problems. The first problem is that it seems that the root servers have
the
> >wrong NS records (my fault....when I contacted the registrar, I must have
> >given them it by mistake).
> >
> >Lets start with a copy of the domain zone file for
> >my.friends.domain(modified to be a little more anonomous)
> >
> >$TTL    259200
> >@               IN      SOA     server.my.own.domain.
my.email.address.
> >(
> >                                20020103015     ; serial
> >                                3600            ; refresh       - 1 hour
> >                                3600            ; retry         - 1 hour
> >                                604800          ; expire        - 7 days
> >                                7200 )          ; default_ttl   - 2 hours
> >
> >                IN      NS      server.my.own.domain.
> >                IN      NS      ns2.nameserver.net.nz.
> >
> >www             IN      A       my.ip.address
> >@                 IN      A       my.ip.address
> >@                 IN      MX      5       server.my.own.domain.
> >(any problems with this file??)
> >
> >So, I ran a test on the domain at www.dnsreport.com and got this
> >error........
> >
> >"ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the root servers are not
> >listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
> >NS1.NAMESERVER.NET.NZ." (which I DON'T have in my zone file)
>
> That's because you gave the wrong nameservers to the registrar.  The
> message says that the list of nameservers in the delegation that the
> registrar created is different from the nameservers in the zone file.
It's
> not telling you anything you didn't already know.
>
> >Also, I get a warning.....
> >
> >"WARNING: You have one or more missing (stealth) nameservers. The
following
> >nameserver(s) are listed (at your nameservers) as nameservers for your
> >domain, but are not listed at the root (therefore, nobody will use them):
> >ns2.nameserver.net.nz."
>
> This is part of the same problem: the nameservers you registered don't
> match the nameservers in the zone file.  Fix the registration and both
> problems should go away.
>
> >I don't want to use ns1.nameserver.net.nz at all, but I want
> >ns2.nameserver.net.nz to be my secondary DNS (I have contacted them, and
> >they have set up the relevant "slave" zone file).
> >
> >As well as that, I get this error.....
> >
> >"ERROR: You have one or more lame nameservers. These are nameservers that
do
> >NOT answer authoritatively for your domain. This is bad; for example,
these
> >nameservers may never get updated. The following nameservers are lame:
> >server.my.own.domain"
> >
> >Now, I assume all this is because the root server has the wrong NS info.
And