bind dns 9.2 startup problems

Joe Kattner joe.kattner at adelphia.com
Tue Apr 16 16:18:50 UTC 2002

It seems that you never removed the Solaris named which is started from
/etc/init.d/inetsvc by default. ndc is used by BIND 8.x, rndc by BIND 9.x.
If you built named from source you should not have 'in.named', it would be
'named'.

You need to edit the inetsvc to start the correct version. The messages are
self-explanatory, you are trying to load multiple instances, and it fails
because an earlier instance is already bound to port 53.

--Joe