Mystery Name Server HEEELLLP!!!

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Apr 18 15:51:02 UTC 2002

In article <a9mojq$m8k at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Kurt Heston <none at none.com> wrote:
>Joe,
>
>If you'd like to email me directly, I'll gladly give you my permanent
>address, forgive me for trying to deter spammers by being stingy with it.
>
>So how can I fix this?
>
>Am I wrong to think that there's some DNS server out there with this bad
>entry?  How would I go about finding where it is with dig or nslookup?

Host registrations come from the registrar responsible for the domain, so
you should contact godaddy.com to get it removed.

>> $ dig any www.employment-lawyers.net @NS1.HN.ORG
>>
>> ; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> any www.employment-lawyers.net @NS1.HN.ORG
>> ; (1 server found)
>> ;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
>> ;; got answer:
>> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 6
>> ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
>> ;; QUERY SECTION:
>> ;;      www.employment-lawyers.net, type = ANY, class = IN
>>
>> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
>> www.employment-lawyers.net.  3D IN NS  63.204.28.148.

This NS record is totally bogus (NS records must point to host *names* not
addresses), and it's on the HN.ORG nameserver itself.  Contact the
administrator of this nameserver to get it removed.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA