Non Existent Domain

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Sat Apr 20 06:24:06 UTC 2002

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> Unless you're using PTR records for some strange purpose, I'd get them ou=
> t of
> your sinfor.net zone file. Normally PTR records are only found in the
> in-addr.arpa namespace.

There is one case where PTR is used in the "forward-zone file" and that
is when the ISP has delegated a number of ip's to a customer,
and CNAMES the PTR to "ip.customers-forward-zone"

This way the customer only needs one file where both forward
and reverse entries is kept. In fact, those who have used
it may say "there is no better way".

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)