forwarding?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 21 11:37:54 UTC 2002

David Hill wrote:

> Hello -
> I have an VPN setup between me and a remote site.  The remote site hosts
> 192.168.0.0/24.  The nameservers specified at my machine are my nameserver,
> then 2 public nameservers.

What is a public nameserver?

For DNS to work it is assumed (except by some parts of
Microsoft) that all recursive resolvers (servers you list on
clients where it said enter a list of DNS servers I can use)
have a consistent view of the DNS, but it sounds like you are
using servers with two different views of the DNS, this doesn't
work. You probably only want to list internal servers in the
clients DNS settings.

Yes forwarding can do it, but so can making your other internal
DNS servers secondaries for the Internal zones, and this is
often faster and more robust.