bind on standalone pc

Nick Simicich njs at scifi.squawk.com
Tue Apr 30 00:41:57 UTC 2002

At 07:27 PM 2002-04-29 -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:
>I'm still unsure why you don't just run your own mailserver and have it
>deliver mail directly. You're running your own nameserver already; how
>much harder can it be? Seems like it would make your life simpler in many
>ways, and you'd have more control over your destiny (as opposed to just
>"punting" the mail to your ISP and _hoping_ that it gets delivered).

Because half the world (including people like me) won't take mail from
someone on a dialup or someone who is not well setup and reasonably
consistent in terms of reverse and fwd translation of mailserver domain
names, and so forth, in a desperate attempt to protect ourselves from
direct-to-MX spam.

Generally, those domains that do provide reverse translation for their
dialups do not provide forward translation for those same names, so you
refuse mail from servers set up like that.

If he can get static IPs, reverse translation, and so forth, I will
probably take his mail. If he is not well set up, I probably won't take his
mail.  This, unfortunately, forces him into using his ISP's mailservers if
he wants to mail to me.

--
War is an ugly thing, but it is not the ugliest of things. The decayed and
degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is
Nick Simicich - njs at scifi.squawk.com