view and DNS order

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 16 08:39:50 UTC 2002

Alex Shi wrote:

> but this change caused error and named didn't start.
> Is there anything wrong in my named.conf? What should I do else?

Ignoring idiosyncracies of W2K for the moment, when you list
name servers for a client, all the name servers should have the
same view of the DNS.

Thus if you have a zone "private.example.com", you need to
ensure that all the nameservers listed are hosting
(master/slave) or know where to get answers for this zone
(delegation/stub/forwarding). If you don't then the client may
ask any of the listed servers, get a "no such domain" answer,
and cache that answer for a period of time.

Now I believe MS are messing around breaking this assumption,
but that is a desparate attempt to help out clueless admins, and
not a sensible design decision.