view and DNS order

Michael E. Hanson MEHanson at GryphonsGate.com
Fri Aug 16 16:04:45 UTC 2002

You need to understand how DNS servers are used by clients.  When a client
(of any type/flavor) needs to resolve a name to an address, it queries the
first DNS server in its list.  If it gets a response (ANY response) that's
the only server it will query.  It will only progress to the next DNS server
in its list if it gets no response at all from the first server within its
timeout period.  This means that if the first server responds with an "I
don't know that name" response, the client assumes it can't get there from
here and quits trying.

If you want your friend to be able to access your "home" domain, you need to
either register your domain with the InterNIC and get public name servers to
resolve it, or configure your DNS to forward unknown queries to a public DNS
that has knowledge of the Internet.  Then your friend can use your DNS as
his preferred DNS server.

Michael E. Hanson
President, Gryphon Consulting  Services
(http://www.GryphonsGate.com)