FW: [ISC-Bugs #3459] (bind-suggest) BIND

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Wed Aug 21 15:50:32 UTC 2002

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 03:30:13PM -0400, Osborne, Sam wrote:
> > I have a question..... I am running Solaris 2.6 on a Sun Ultra1 and I'm
> > going to upgrade to an Ultra 5, Solaris 7. How can I find out which
> version
> > of BIND I am running on Solaris 2.6? Also I am upgrading to Windows Server
> > 2000 and Exchange 2000, which requires BIND version 8.1.2 minimum to run
> > with my Sun Ultra1 Solaris 2.6 DNS server.

	dig chaos txt version.bind @systemname.domainname

if that fails, than:

	nslookup -type=txt -class=chaos version.bind systemname.domainname

> > Can I upgrade my SUN DNS server to Solairs 7 and download BIND 8.3.3 and
> > install it on Solaris 7 or does Solaris 7 come with the version of BIND I
> > need?

Solaris 7 almost certainly comes with an outdated version of BIND,
since Sun is now releasing Solaris 9.  Get bind 9.2.1 or 9.2.2.  Or, if
you must have BIND 8, you can get and install 8.3.3.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B