new BIND user asking for zonefile proofreading

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Sun Aug 11 19:33:18 UTC 2002

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 08:55:24AM -0700, Evan wrote:

> Hello, I recently setup a chrooted install of bind 9.2.1 as per the
> HOWTOs on linuxdoc and would like to have somebody proofread my
> zonefile.  I updated the whois information for the domain on
> Wednesday, and the new dns servers were reflected on Thursday, and
> it's Sunday and I still cannot resolve the domain.  I think I found &
> fixed one problem (I had the SOA pointing to the wrong nameserver) but
> I was wondering if somebody would be kind enough to check this over
> for any other errors.
>
> If I "dig www.fileswapper.com @63.143.133.137" it returns the correct
> info, but dig +trace still does not resolve.  Before I fixed this, the
> TTL was 3D and the host after SOA was ns.fileswapper.com... hopefully
> it will now work.  Any fixes or suggestions welcome.

bastet[~]$ dig +short fileswapper.com ns @f.gtld-servers.com
63.143.133.138.
63.143.133.137.
bastet[~]$

NS records point to canonical names, not to IP addresses. Your registrar
should not have allowed these records in the first place. Go back to
your registrar and submit correct records for your name servers.

-Pete