ddns - flashing out in-memory zone data back to disk

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 12 16:20:18 UTC 2002

Eric wrote:

> I am using Bind 9.1.0 on RedHat 7.1.

9.2.1 is much more recent.

> If I want the name server to write back to disk more frequently, say
> every 30 minutes, what command or configuration option do I use ? If
> it is a configuration option, what is this configuration and where is
> it ?

First, why do you care? You can't edit these files directly
(i.e. you use nsupdate or similar to update zones), you
shouldn't be relying on their format (i.e. you should use "dig"
or similar to extract any information you need).

Thus the only reason to care is for performance issues, and few
people should be seeing that level of updates.

> The version I use doesn't seems have man page for named.conf

The Administrators Reference Manual is found at www.isc.org or
in the source tar ball if you upgrade.