ddns - flashing out in-memory zone data back to disk

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Aug 12 21:36:12 UTC 2002

eric.chin at pinnacle.co.uk wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am using Bind 9.1.0 on RedHat 7.1. I am playing with dynamic dns. In
> the 4th edition of DNS and BIND book by Paul Albitz & Criket Liu
> (O'Reilly publication),  page 254, it mentions "... when they receive
> dynamic update, BIND 8 & 9 name servers simply append a short record
> of the update to a log file. The change take effect immediately in the
> copy of the zone the name server maintain in memory. But the name
> server can wait & write the entire zone to disk only at a designated
> interval (hourly, usually)"
>
> If I want the name server to write back to disk more frequently, say
> every 30 minutes, what command or configuration option do I use ? If
> it is a configuration option, what is this configuration and where is
> it ?

No, you're going at this the wrong way. Once you enable DDNS for a zone,
you should consider it "off-limits". It belongs to BIND now. It's not
yours to look at any more. If you want information about a particular
record in the zone, a particular set of records, or the entire set of
zone data, do ordinary DNS queries or a zone transfer. That's the
*only* way to get reliable information.