nslookup on win2000 doesn't work.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Dec 5 23:04:15 UTC 2002

Roger wrote:

> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message news:<as3cen$7dmn$1 at isrv4.isc.org>...
> > Roger wrote:
> >
> > > Some FQDN I can not resolve with nslookup on win2000.
> > > Error: DNS request timed out
> > >
> > > With solaris and 'dig' no problem.
> >
> > Way, WAY more details are necessary in order to resolve this problem.
> >
> > How are the respective nameservers configured? Are these internal or
> > external names? If external names, what are the names, and what kind of
> > external connectivity do you have? If internal names, what is your
> > overall internal DNS architecture (e.g. internal root versus
> > forwarding-to-Internet)? Are there any firewalls involved here, and what
> > ports/networks/protocols do they block or not block?
> >

> > - Kevin
>
> Kevin,
>
> It is configured for internal and external.
> With internal zones no problem.
> But with few external names like www.datastarweb.com no resolving
> with nslookup and Browser (Netscape or IE).
> There is a FW between but there is no blocking. (Resolving 95%
> external names no problem)
>
> Nslookup gets the correct severs:
>  > set nosea
> > set norecu
> > www.datastarweb.com
> Server:  grape.krinfo.ch
> Address:  192.82.124.24
>
> Name:    www.datastarweb.com
> Served by:
> - GATEKEEPER.DIALOG.com
>           192.132.3.48
>           datastarweb.com
> - HOMELAND.DIALOG.com
>           192.132.3.47
>           datastarweb.com
>
> And I can get the result from gatekeeper:
>
> > www.datastarweb.com
> Server:  [192.132.3.48]
> Address:  192.132.3.48
>
> Name:    www.datastarweb.com
> Address:  192.82.124.101

Well, you turned off recursion for the query and presumably grape.krinfo.ch is not supposed to
be authoritative for the datastarweb.com zone, so all that these results mean is that
grape.krinfo.ch didn't happen to have the answer cached.

If you want to mimic what Netscape or IE are doing, try issuing a recursive query. Maybe
grape.krinfo.ch doesn't even support recursion, so it would be unwise to point a stub resolver
at it.