local server forwarding to remote server woes

Randal Cobb cobbr at daugherty.com
Fri Dec 6 15:49:18 UTC 2002

Hello all,

I am new to BIND, so my question may have been answered many times
before, but I could not find an answer in the archives...  I have a
problem that could easily be a "RTFM, you bone-head!" problem.

I have a master DNS server (unfortunately, NT based) based in a remote
office, that we cannot touch.  I cannot add or modify records in it at
all.  I have the need to create a local server (BIND8 based) that will
participate in the same domain.  I need this because I have a Linux box
that has about 30 virtual IP addresses hosted on it for internal
development.  I would like to set this new BIND server up in the same
corporate-wide domain, but set it so that it becomes the primary DNS
server for my local machines, the gotcha is, I cannot set it to be a
slave, because of domain permissions in the remote location.

For example, the master server hosts mydomain.com.  I would like to set
up the new server so that it also serves mydomain.com, but only the
local virtual IP addresses for the Linux server.  Any other mydomain.com
request would be forwarded to the master hosted in the remote location.

With that background, I have tried the following configuration:
installed bind8 and added a domain (both forward and reverse) with the
local ip addresses, I added NS records to each of the forward and
reverse files that point to the remote master.  I have also added the
forward only, and forwarders options that point to the master server.

The problem is, no matter what I try, I cannot resolve any other of the
corporate domain resources (i.e., mail server, etc.) all of which are
served by the master server.

How do I configure my local named server to pass the requests up to the
forward master if it cannot find an entry in the local domain records?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I despirately need to rid myself
of the HOSTS file nitemare I'm currently dealing with.

--
Cheers,

Randal Cobb
Senior Consultant