root servers

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Wed Dec 11 22:06:04 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 04:27:32PM +0100, Damien SOULIER wrote:
> I have one question and i can't find any answer.
> Why there is only 13 root servers.
> If someone can give me an answer, it will be fine.
>
> Damien

Why would you want more?

For increased redundancy?  I'll tell you this - if any of the root
server maintainers have any smarts, they have probably put backup
copies of their name server(s) in multiple locations with some failover
mechanism, and with multiple physical servers doing failover at each
physical location (think F5's BigIP/3DNS).

And I think that some of the server maintainers may have some smarts.
;-)

Several have already mentioned the number of answers that one may fit
into a UDP packet without having to turn to TCP.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B