root servers

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Dec 11 22:28:07 UTC 2002

Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> For increased redundancy?  I'll tell you this - if any of the root
> server maintainers have any smarts, they have probably put backup
> copies of their name server(s) in multiple locations with some
> failover mechanism, and with multiple physical servers doing failover
> at each physical location (think F5's BigIP/3DNS).

I believe very few of the root name servers are actually single
servers.  f.root-servers.net, for example, is at least two, and
soon to be more.  See http://www.isc.org/ISC/news/pr-11172002.html.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, now available!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/