How to redirect to other nameservers so BIND 9 will understand?

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Dec 17 01:16:46 UTC 2002

> Greetings,
>
> My domain name bladeraar.com is connected to (a.o.)
> DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.com. This nameserver should then point to
> ns1.NameWeb.biz which will have the real info about this domain name.
>
> This redirection works, but not with all ISP's. One of the nameservers
> it doesn't work with is ns.telenet-ops.be. This NS just won't dig down
> to ns1.NameWeb.biz to get the real information we need.
> Because of some experience in the past with this nameserver I'm rather
> sure it uses BIND 9.
>
> I'm trying to convince eNom (the holders of DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.com)
> that there is something wrong with their set-up in combination with
> the latest version of BIND. Is there anyone that could help me figure
> out why what they're trying to do isn't accepted by amongst others
> ns.telenet-ops.be?
>
> Sincerely,
> Bart Mortelmans

	There is no such thing as redirection in the DNS.  There
	is delegation which is strictly downwards.  If you want
	ns[012].gradwell.com and ns1.NameWeb.biz to serve bladeraar.com
	then you need to update the delegation information for the
	zone.

	Mark

bladeraar.com.          172800  IN      NS      dns1.name-services.com.
bladeraar.com.          172800  IN      NS      dns2.name-services.com.
bladeraar.com.          172800  IN      NS      dns3.name-services.com.
bladeraar.com.          172800  IN      NS      dns4.name-services.com.
bladeraar.com.          172800  IN      NS      dns5.name-services.com.
;; Received 300 bytes from 192.5.6.30#53(A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET) in 317 ms

bladeraar.com.          3600    IN      NS      ns1.NameWeb.biz.
bladeraar.com.          3600    IN      NS      ns0.gradwell.com.
bladeraar.com.          3600    IN      NS      ns1.gradwell.net.
bladeraar.com.          3600    IN      NS      ns2.gradwell.net.
;; Received 148 bytes from 66.150.5.176#53(dns1.name-services.com) in 277 ms

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org