sysquery: no addresses found for NS

Eric Chevalier Eric at vikingsoft.com
Tue Feb 5 16:29:51 UTC 2002

After a recent conversion from Red Hat 6.2 to RedHat 7.2 (and a
corresponding upgrade from Bind 8 to Bind 9), I'm seeing an immense
number of these "sysquery: no addresses found for NS" messages from an
internal name server.

Background: our organization maintains an internal, private name server
that's intended to be a private root server authoritative for the pseudo
TLD "phx.".  This name server is distributed by IBM as part of their zOS
& OS/390 mainframe operating system and is based on Bind 4.9.x.  This
private name server is also used by most of our staff as their primary
name server, and forwards unresolveable queries to a public name server
that we run on a Linux-based system.  For quite a while the public name
server was running the Bind 8 release that was included as part of Red
Hat 6.2.  With this configuration, everything worked fine; our users
were able to resolve private names directly from the internal name
server as well as public names via forwarding from the private name
server to the public name server.

About two weeks ago we upgraded the Linux system, which runs our public
DNS, Web, FTP and Mail servers, to Red Hat Linux 7.2 and Bind 9.  Since
that upgrade, our private name server has been generating an immense
number of the messages shown in the Subject: line.  Nevertheless, our
end-users still seem to be able to resolve public and private host
names, although we seem to have noticed that name resolution sometimes
seems to take much longer.  (No changes were made to the private name
server's configuration.)

In order to avoid too much clutter in this message, I've placed our name
server's configuration files on our FTP server at:

    ftp://ftp.vikingsoft.com/pub/dns/private
    ftp://ftp.vikingsoft.com/pub/dns/public

(Both directories are accessible via anonymous FTP.)  The public name
server is ns1.phoenixsoftware.com at 64.173.78.130.

I'm completely baffled by the appearance of all these "no address"
messages; any advice from the Bind gurus would be greatly appreciated!

Eric Chevalier
Viking Software Solutions