BIND 9 to BIND 8 downgrade

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Feb 6 21:51:35 UTC 2002

In article <a3s74k$ddv at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Jim McAtee <jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com> wrote:

>My apologies for the questions.  I know... RTFM.  I found the BIND 8
>documentation and it looks like master files should work the same.
>
>For the configuration file, BIND 8 has a 'query-source' option, which may be
>what I'm looking for.  How does this differ from BIND 9's 'notify-source'
>and 'transfer-source' options?  Just less granularity in terms of control?

query-source is used when the server has to make a recursive query.

transfer-source also exists in BIND 8, and it's used as the source address
by a slave server when pulling a zone transfer from the master.

notify-source is used by a master server when sending NOTIFY messages to
the slaves, to inform them that a zone has been updated.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA