MX entry points to "localhost"

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Feb 7 19:54:53 UTC 2002

In article <a3uak1$oqg at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
 <c_SenRa at HQ.verizonwireless.com> wrote:

>The MX entry for "vanderburgh.com" points to "localhost".
>
>This is causing some problems on our sendmail MTA when an email is sent to
>somebody at vanderburgh.com.

What kind of problems?  It should just bounce the mail with the error "MX
points to myself".

>Any ideas how to protect ourselves from this misconfigured DNS problem ?

Get rid of the "localhost" top-level zone in your DNS server, and just use
the name "localhost" in your local domain.  That should be sufficient for
people who type "localhost", since their resolvers are usually configured
to append the local domain by default, or they have a hosts file with a
"localhost" entry.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA