Expert Required for this one , IP web problem!! Please Help !! Urgent

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Feb 13 23:49:02 UTC 2002

In article <a4ei51$jcl at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

>If I understand your requirements correctly, a CNAME should work fine
>here.

The web site is presumably doing name-based virtual hosting, and the
browser will send the alias, not the canonical name, in the "Host:" header
when it contacts the server.  Since they haven't put the alias in the
virtual host configuration (and it sounds like the hosting provider refused
to do so) the CNAME won't "work fine".

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA