round robin

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Feb 13 23:53:17 UTC 2002

In article <a4esp7$l0j at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Brian Noecker  <bnoecker at jabber.com> wrote:
>The master is on a solaris box, the slave a RH7.2 box.
>
>When I'm on the master itself and ping test, 10.2.2.1 is the only answer I
>get back.  When I'm on a windows desktop using the master as its DNS server,
>I only get 10.2.2.1.  When I'm on the slave server and ping, I get about a
>30/70 split on my returns.
>
>Should I expect consistency on the round robin nature of Bind?

Solaris and Windows do local caching of DNS responses, and these internal
caches aren't round-robined.  On Solaris this is done by "nscd"; you can
adjust its cache timeout with /etc/nscd.conf, or simply not run it at all.
I don't know details about Windows, but I'll bet there are registry
settings that control its DNS cache.

Linux apparently doesn't have a local cache, so it goes out to the
nameserver every time.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA