slave on per-zone basis only?

WebReactor Networks bind at webreactor.net
Wed Feb 20 19:12:39 UTC 2002

Matt asked:
>I have a general question about the configuration of
>slave nameservers.  Does a slave have to have an entry
>for every zone that a master serves?

Danny replied:
>No.

Sorry... in my earlier post I made the assumption that by "slave" you meant "a slave for all zones served by the master", based on the context of your question.  Danny is correct.

Matt asked:
>Does an entry such as this need to added for *every* domain
>that this server is a slave for?

Danny replied:
> No.  A slave zone only needs to be set up for those domains
> that have been delegated to it

On the contrary, a server can be a slave for any zone.  I can set up a slave server for the zone "ibm.com" if they haven't secured their zone transfers (which I'm sure they have, but plenty of servers out there have not).  I have used this method on internal networks when I want to avoid traversing a WAN link for every query, but don't require quick updates via NOTIFY.

Also, an entry in named.conf *is* required for each zone this server is to be a slave for.

>I have a general question about the configuration of slave nameservers.
>Does a slave have to have an entry for every zone that a master serves?

No.

>Such as:
>
>zone "foobar.com" {
>                         type slave;
>                         file "db.foobar.com";
>                         masters {  192.168.1.235;  };
>};
>
>Does an entry such as this need to added for *every* domain that this server
>is a slave for?

No.  A slave zone only needs to be set up for those domains that have been
delegated to it. A server can be a master for some zones and slaves for others
and the masters/slaves for those zones can be on any other servers.

>   Or is there a global command that will tell the server to
>slave for every domain a specific master serves?

No.

>--matt

Danny