Question about Config file in BIND!

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Feb 23 01:46:44 UTC 2002

sl wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am familiar with Windows 2000 DNS but newbies to BIND 9. I know BIND
> have a Named.conf config file.
>
> How and where do I specify the a Domain CName, MX, www records in the
> Named.conf file. Or I have to create separate file for each separate
> domain (similar to the W2K DNS structure)? That where I think it is
> but I need some confirmation from you BIND gurus!
>
> If it need a separate file, how do I point to that separate file? e.g
> how do I define WWW records for this domain : www.foo.com  with IP
> 65.119.31.45

Yes, the zone files are separate from the named.conf file.

If you want to understand the syntax of DNS master files, I suppose you
could go to "the source": RFC 1035 (which defines the original
master-file format) plus RFC 2308 (which added the $TTL directive).

Or, if you want to learn master-file format *and* a whole bunch more
about DNS and BIND, then get the _DNS_and_BIND_ book from O'Reilly (4th
Edition), which is generally considered "the bible" on the subject.