Authoritative for what domains?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Sun Feb 24 05:14:00 UTC 2002

> > > Is there anyway to query a remote name server to find out what domains
> > > it is authoritative for?
> > >
> > > For example, there is name server called ns1.someserver.com. It is
> > > authoritative for abc.com, def.com and ghi.com. How can I find out
that
> > > those 3 domains have records on  ns1.someserver.com without knowing if
> > > those domains exist?
> > >
> > > Any ideas or confirmation that it cannot be done would be most
> > > appreciated.
> >
> >No, you can't do that with a query.
>
> Not true.  Try:
> dig +norecursive abc.com @ns1.someserver.com soa
>
> If it thinks it's authorative for the domain it will set the aa bit.

He asked if you could query a remote name server to find out what zones
it's authoritative for, not whether it's authoritative for a particular
zone.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes