a strange question about primary and secondary

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Feb 25 19:52:50 UTC 2002

In article <a58hvf$ml at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
David Xiao <xiao at info.sta.net.cn> wrote:
>You means that it can do the trick of server load balacing?

Maybe.  The web server load will be balanced only if the DNS servers are
equal between the two nameservers.

>BTW.Can you tell me something more about the 'master' and 'slave'
>terms these days?

A master server is one where you edit the zone file directory; its
named.conf file contains "type master" in the zone definition.  A slave
server is one that gets the domain's contents by performing a zone transfer
from another server (usually the master); its named.conf file contains
"type slave" in the zone definition.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA