Bind 8/Dynamic DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 27 21:50:32 UTC 2002

Why would you want to "control" it? The changes are already reflected in DNS --
just query the server and you'll see. named incorporates the Dynamic Updates
*immediately*; it doesn't wait until the .log file merge.

The way to look at this is: once a zone is enabled for Dynamic Update, you lose
"ownership" of the zone file. The named process now "owns" the zone file, and
you shouldn't be using it for anything except perhaps backing it up
periodically along with all of the other files in the directory. You must now
make all changes to the zone via Dynamic Update, and you must obtain all
knowledge of the zone contents through ordinary queries or zone transfers.

- Kevin