gives me connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jan 2 16:59:13 UTC 2002

In article <a0t6ps$hb1 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Tarek Hamdy <thamdy at quixnet.net> wrote:
>Thanks for anwering, when I execute command dig ham.tarekham.com, I et
>error:
>
>;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

This means that the name server isn't running for some reason.

>I response to Barry, I tried modifying my zone files as follows:
>
>TTL 86400
>$ORIGIN tarekham.com.
>@       IN       SOA    ham.tarekham.com. thamdy.ham.tarekham.com (
>2002010105 28800 7200 604800 86400 )

Did you really put the parameters at the left margin like that?  Maybe it
doesn't matter after a parenthesis, but continuation lines should generally
be indented.

Why didn't you just leave everything else the same and just move the close
parenthesis to before the comment character, like I said in my message?
That's the conventional way that SOA records are written.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA