caching name server in Bind 9 behind Linksys gateway.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jan 5 03:20:45 UTC 2002

The Linksys does NAT so I wouldn't expect the private addressing to be a
problem, nor should the firewall capability of the Linksys, since by
default it allows all outbound connections (and presumably also outbound
UDP packets).

Basically, a caching server just needs a "hints" file populated with the
Internet root servers, and, optionally, a master file to contain the
1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa PTR record. That should be about it.

If you think the Linksys is the problem, you could try configuring the
laptop as a caching server and then either bypass the Linksys physically
(by connecting directly to your broadband device) or try using the
"DMZ" functionality of the Linksys to effectively externalize that one
node.

- Kevin

P.S. You appear to have mistyped 192.168.1.3 as 198.126.1.3 multiple
times in your message. I don't suppose you made that same error in any of
your configuration files, did you?