Dynamic updates in bind 8.2

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Thu Jan 10 18:14:34 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 12:59:54PM -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> rancid moth wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > If you use Dynamic Update for a zone, you shouldn't manually edit the zone
> > > files, regardless of whether you're doing IXFR or not. Dynamic Update is
> > > basically an all-or-nothing proposition in BIND; you can't safely mix
> > Dynamic
> > > Updates and manual edits.
> >
> > i dont know if that is entirely true.  I cant comment on DDNS update for
> > 8.2.5 as is what this discussion is about, but what i can say is that you
> > can successfully use DDNS and manual updates with BIND9.2 and DHCP 3.  You
> > first stop the named service using
> >
> > rndc stop
> >
> > which pushes the latest updates from the jnl file to the ascii zone file.
> > then edit the ascii zone file with out touching the index.  then simply
> > start named again.  of course you have to wait 15 minutes for the changes to
> > be pushed back into the jnl file before you can resolve the newly added
> > entries.  works fine for me.
>
> What I said is that you can't *safely* mix Dynamic Updates and manual edits.
> Sure you can stop the nameserver. But then you lose any Dynamic Updates that
> are attempted while the nameserver is stopped. That's not what I call "safe".

Plus when your nameservers support millions of web hits a day, you don't
go shutting down nameservers unless it's to start up an upgraded binary.

By the same logic, it's fine to run my nameservers on Win98, and just
reboot them every hour or so. The downtime doesn't matter, the missed
updates (if I used them) don't matter - it only matters that it "works."
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | WiReD UNIX Operations

"ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !"