BIND 8.3.0 RC2 is now available for public testing

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Jan 7 04:52:38 UTC 2002

> Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:
>
> > 		BIND 8.3.0 Release Candidate 2 (RC2)
> >
> > BIND 8.3.0 is the first release of 8.3 and contains new features not found
> > in 8.2.5.
> >
> > The recommended version to use are BIND 9.2.0.  If for whatever reason you
> > must run BIND 8, use nothing earlier than 8.2.5-REL.  Do not under any
> > circumstances run BIND 4.
>
> Can someone please explain why we must use nothing earlier than 8.2.5.
> I have seen this expressed many times but am yet to have read a reason
> why we shouldn't be using say 8.2.3-REL.

	You mean apart from the bugs that have been fixed between the
	time BIND 8.2.3 was released and now.  Personally I think they
	are reason enough to upgrade.  BIND 8.2.5 only contains bug
	fixes.  All the feature changes are in BIND 8.3.0.

	Well you also have people actively trying to exploit the bugs
	that are fixed in later releases.  We are not aware of any but
	that doesn't mean that someone has not found something.  BIND,
	named in particular, is a natural target as it has to be exposed
	to malformed messages to perform its job.

	We can't in clear conscience recommend a version which we know
	to be buggy when there is a better version.  The only time when
	we would recommend a down rev. version is as a work-around to
	a specific issue while a fix was being prepared.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org