a question?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Jan 7 17:29:07 UTC 2002

    David> When I write the zone file like that
    David> www.xxx.com.  IN CNAME www.xxx.com.hk
    David> xxx.com.      IN CNAME www.xxx.com.hk

    David> the xxx.com can not be found,the www.xxx.com can be found.
    David> Does that means I can not set xxx.com with CNAME?

Yes. Read RFC1034 and RFC2181 or the discussion about multiple CNAMEs
earlier today in this list. xxx.com (why not the real domain name?)
will have a SOA and NS records. Therefore the name cannot exist as a
CNAME too.

    David> but if I wanna do the same thing like that, How can I set the zone
    David> file?

Replace the CNAME for xxx.com with an A record that has the IP address
of the appropriate web server.

Oh, and try to give a more meaningful Subject: header on your
postings. Just about everyone asks "a question"....