nsupdate problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 8 01:11:28 UTC 2002

jjhirschauer at duke-energy.com wrote:

> Thanks for the information. In my original post I forgot to mention that I
> am stuck with using BIND 8.2.2-P5 for now. If I had it my way I would
> upgrade but unfortunately I am not currently allowed to upgrade at all.
> Any more info would be appreciated.

Are you limited to BIND 8 for *everything*? Or just the nameserver itself?
The BIND 9 nsupdate works with BIND 8 nameservers (as long as you use the
BIND 8-generated keys for TSIG-signing, has been my experience).

Another option to consider is ditching nsupdate altogether and using the
Dynamic Update capabilities of the Net::DNS Perl module.

Mark has already pointed out the security ramifications associated with that
release of BIND, so I won't rehash that...