Can any body explain this?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Sat Jan 12 00:09:16 UTC 2002

In article <a1nftd$747 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
husam  <h.jehadalwan at student.kun.nl> wrote:
>My domains are:
>1- macrozon.com	(registered at netsol)
>2- macrozon.net	(at 6star)
>
>I'm not inteding to manage both domains at the same time. First I configured
>BIND to manage the first domain 'macrozon.com'. All worked fine. But when I
>changed all the configurations of BIND to manage only the second domain
>'macrozon.net'
>instead of 'macrozon.com' all went wrong.

The registration of macrozon.com doesn't point to your server, it points
to:

   NS1.CADVISION.COM		207.228.64.43
   NS3.CADVISION.COM		207.228.64.5

So nothing you do on your server affects what happens when people try to
look up macrozon.com.

>You know, I removed BIND from the server
>but remote machines still able to visit my website on the old domain
>name  despite the fact that I configured BIND to manage macrozon.net.
>Then I removed BIND from server, but remote machines still able to visit
>macrozon.com, the old name. HOW COME?

Remove machines aren't querying your server, they're querying the
cadvision.com servers.

>When I do nslookup macrozon.com on remote machines, it lists perfectly
>my ip adress beside macrozon.com. I don't want this. I want it to point
>to macrozon.net instead. I restarted BIND several times and I'm sure

I don't understand this.  When you nslookup macrozon.com, it will always
look up macrozon.com, not macrozon.net.

>it's reloading it's configuration files each time I modify them.
>My ISP (a university service) is not willing to help on any thing.
>What I still don't know is whether my linux box has to be delegated by
>my ISP or not. But I don't think it's necessory because the setup of the
>server the first time went ok without the intervention of my ISP.

The registration of macrozon.net points to 6star.net's nameservers, not
yours:

	 ns.6star.net 216.97.100.211
	 ns2.6star.net 216.97.101.211

However, those servers don't have the zone installed on them.

Nothing you do on your machine will affect what happens when remote users
try to look up macrozon.net.

If you want to be able to make changes on your machine and have them affect
remote lookups, you need to update the domain registration so it lists your
machine as the nameserver.

>My fully qualified name is: catv7229.extern.kun.nl
>my IP is: 131.174.117.229

I tried querying your server and it didn't respond to DNS or ping.  Maybe
there's a firewall in the way?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA