2pc's,2 ip's, one name

Marc C Storck marc at storck.org
Sun Jan 13 04:18:35 UTC 2002

you may try to read the mailing archives!!!!

this time I looked up the announcement for you:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-users&m=99599928222896&w=2

Make use of the archives!!

Marc

At 18:26 12.01.2002 -0500, you wrote:

>"Roelf Schreurs" <rosc at imc.nl> wrote in message
>news:a1q9q5$j2f at pub3.rc.vix.com...
> >
> > I was wondering if the following is possible.
> > One machine with an IP is running on say roelf.intra.home. Now we want a
> > backup machine, identical to roelf. It will have a different IP address.
> > Now if a user tries to access roelf, it goes to the first IP, but if the
> > machine is down, it automatically goes to the second IP. The user still
> > tries to access roelf.intra.home.
> > Thus, if you go to roelf, the dns looks if the 1st machine is up. If it
>is,
> > it gives that IP, if it's not, it tries the second.
> >

>Not through DNS, don't think so.  You would need to have an A record for
>roelf.intra.home pointing to a load balancer (eg, cisco local director,
>think you might be able to do it with just a linux box).  The load balancer
>would then decide where to send the packets.

!!! ATTENTION: NEW MAILING ADDRESS !!!
Nizzaallee 4          Tel. : +49 (0)241 412 7634
D-52072 Aachen  GSM : +49 (0)179 121 2291
Germany                            marc at storck.org