name with multiple IPs, is IP on local segment used?

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Sat Jan 12 21:24:28 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 12:40:58PM -0800, Stephen Mathezer wrote:

> I have a multi-homed machine, with an entry for each of its interfaces
> in DNS, all with the same name.  If I try to connect to that machine
> by name, will I always be talking to the interface that is on the same
> segment as me?
>
> I guess this is more of a client side question, what I am really
> trying to ask is: Are the DNS resolvers on various OSes smart enough
> to pick the closest ip address when a name resolves to multiple
> addresses?

Most apps will use the first record returned. It's up to you to name
your interfaces individually and use the name of the interface you wish
to connect to.
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | WiReD UNIX Operations

"The C Programming Language - A language which combines the flexibility
of assembly language with the power of assembly language."