Can any body explain this?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Sun Jan 13 21:10:40 UTC 2002

In article <a1shj3$sb5 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
husam  <h.jehadalwan at student.kun.nl> wrote:
>Alright, now the picture is becoming clear and clear, thanks to you. You
>know, non of the tutorials I read nor the book 'Linux Netowrk Server'
>mensioned that in order to manage you'r domain you have to let the
>registrar company to list you'r machine IP as the primary server. They
>just say register a domain. So, when I registered the domains, they
>created a zone files and assigned them primary and secondry servers.
>Because I was not awar of the importance to let the registrars to list
>my machine IP as the primary server in order to manage the domains,
>every thing went wrong. IN fact, when I filled in the forms for
>registering the domains, they did not ask whether I wish to list my
>machine IP as the primary server or not.

They just ask you to list all the nameservers.  The order of the servers in
the registration is unimportant.  The point of registering the domain is to
tell the rest of the Internet "these are the servers you should query if
you want to look up a name in my domain".

If you don't want the rest of the net querying your machine (perhaps your
machine is behind a slow Internet connection), don't list it in the
registration and don't include it in the NS records in the domain.  This is
what is often called a "silent primary".

Whatever servers you do list have to have the correct data in them, of
course.  If you list CADVISION.COM servers, you have to arrange with them
to be slaves of your machine so that they'll pick up the changes you make.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA