in-addr-arpa issue

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jan 15 22:32:40 UTC 2002

In article <a21uoe$tu at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Curtis Petree  <cpetr at swbell.net> wrote:
>My company owns a class C that was "given" to them by HP about 15
>years ago.  It has followed us from provider to provider over the
>years.  All of the DNS stuff is being turned over from the UNIX group
>to my group (Netware/NT).  So I did an audit and discovered that the
>reverse lookup for the subnet didn't exist. My question:
>
>How do you get the reverse lookups set up initially?  I know I go
>through ARIN, but I have yet to find the actual process we need to go
>through. Any help is appreciated.

If this class C is part of a /16 block that was assigned to some
organization (e.g. HP) then ARIN will have delegated the reverse DNS for
that block to that organization's DNS server.  You then need to contact
their DNS administrator to get further delegation.

If the block was delegated all by itself by ARIN, you will have to fill out
an IN-ADDR template and send it to them.  You can find this form on
ftp.arin.net.  The instructions are in the file.

If you post your class C, we can be more specific about what you need to
do.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA